Friday, July 10, 2009

Our Lady of the Lost and Found

I'm plowing through books, making up for the fact that I don't read nearly enough books for pleasure during the school year. I just started this quirky book called Our Lady of the Lost and Found, by Diane Schoemperlen - a writer based in Kingston, Ontario. Here's the blurb teaser: "On a Monday morning in April, a middle-aged writer goes into her living room to water the plants and finds a woman standing in front of the fig tree. The woman is wearing a navy blue trench coat and white Nikes and carries a small black suitcase on wheels. She is the Virgin Mary. Invited to stay for lunch, Mary explains that, after 2,000 years of petition, adoration, and traveling, she is tired and needs some R&R." Schoemperlen does a great job of pulling the reader into the world of this single woman. I suspect that there are elements of her own life embedded in the narrative. I started reading it while my son was at the park today and I only put it down long enough to take a picture of it for Yard Sale Snoop. Check it out.
I'm about 40 pages into it. I'll rip through a few more pages tonight.
Here is one of the many statues of the Virgin Mary at St. Mary's Cemetery in Owen Sound. I'm not quite sure what the significance of the upside down Bob mug is. Create your own poetic metaphor.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a slightly off-beat Toronto-area teacher who enjoys writing and photography. I come from a family of collectors and now I'm dragging my own family around to yard sales. It's just a bit of fun. Enjoy the scenes.