Saturday, December 12, 2009

Thrifted Bears in an Oil Spill

In Science, my class is learning about Energy Conservation. We've been exploring fossil fuels and the environmental damages caused by oil spills. Last week, I bought two bags of brand new stuffed bears (10 bears in total) for $4.00 at Value Village. Yesterday, the class recreated an oil spill using cooking oil, black powdered paint, and water. I wish I could include pictures of the kids on this blog, because they were totally into the activity. Look at the poor bears.
"No, you can't do this to me!"
"Aaaaagh!"

A little clean to see if the grime will come off.
No such luck. Next week, the students will perform an autopsy on the bears to see what they look like inside.

2 comments:

  1. WOWOWOWOWWO! I'm impressed... A great idea.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked the activity, CSM. I was wandering around my school with the bucket of greasy bears Friday after school, and I got some weird looks from a few teachers. Science only works if it's hands-on.
    I can tell we're on the same page. Wanna teach at my school? LOL
    Erin

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm a slightly off-beat Toronto-area teacher who enjoys writing and photography. I come from a family of collectors and now I'm dragging my own family around to yard sales. It's just a bit of fun. Enjoy the scenes.