Monday, January 25, 2010

A "Find" in the Post From a Fabulous Friend

Stan Williams, otherwise know as the Elegant Thrifter, otherwise known as the author of The Find, sent me a little something in the post today. I tend to not look in the mailbox. Instead, I leave the grim job of pulling out bills, etc. to my husband. No bills today. Look hither.
You know that Stan is a class act, just by looking at his penmanship. I'm struggling to teach cursive to some of my grade five students. I should show them Stan's script as inspiration.
Look at this cute London sticker on the back of the envelope. I'm sure these have a proper name that I'm not aware of: envelope seal? I love the old wax and stamp seals too.
Look what Stan sent - a beautiful bookplate for my copy of The Find. As luck would have it, my sister who had been borrowing the book for a prolonged period of time, handed it back a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks Stan! I appreciate that you espouse great things that are within reach of the common person, not just the über wealthy. You are one of my new favourite writers. I'll be buying my sister a copy of The Find for her birthday in May.
Cheerio,
Erin

P.S. Mom Wald was the first person to reply to the Pay it Forward post below. Two people can still write in to have me make them something. I'm thinking paper art/photography. No hideous clay ashtrays. Promise.

2 comments:

  1. Erin,

    This is what happens when you are the son of a third grade teacher and an elementary school principal. In fact, my dad has perfect...I mean perfect penmanship. His looks like the cursive writing on those green ruled charts that teachers used to demonstrate the correct way to form letters. Do teachers still use those?

    I'm so happy you received our plate. Let me know when I should send one for your sister. And thank you for the kind comments on my book. It truly means so much to me.

    Have a fantastic day! Stan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I haven't been around much, Erin. Wanted to stop in and say hiya :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm a slightly off-beat Toronto-area teacher who enjoys writing and photography. I come from a family of collectors and now I'm dragging my own family around to yard sales. It's just a bit of fun. Enjoy the scenes.