Saturday, March 13, 2010

Eat Something Different Part 1

As mentioned a couple of posts ago, I'm bustin' to eat some different things with my buddy Jesselyn. I'm not talking about Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Foods. I don't feel like eating sheep intestine topped with toasted grubs. I am, however, watching a lot of No Reservations these days and I just love the way Tony Bourdain goes for the off-beatly tasty. I like that he's big on the pig and not afraid to eat different cuts of meat.

To that end, it was a cold, rainy day today. I took Sonny Jim down to the St. Lawrence Market and I wanted to buy something unusual that would be palatable and not cost more than $20.00. Here's what I found:
Yes. It's the old family favourite: caribou & fig pate. After I post this, I'm going to ask Ken if he wants to check it out with me. Note the price per kilo: $45.99. Don't ask me the price per pound - I'm too tired to convert to non-metric.
I'm pretty sure caribou are plentiful, but I do feel somewhat guilty. Maybe this is why:

My carbon footprint is now the size of RuPaul's stiletto. This fruit is called carica and yes, it comes from Chile. It was good. Kind of a cross between mango and papaya. Duncan liked it. He had it on a slice of baguette. Oh kids.
These artisan crisps are just plain tasty. Anything Ace Bakery makes is addictive.
Currently working its way through my lower intestine. Thanks for reading. Goodnight!

3 comments:

  1. So, um how was the pate? I guess Im not an adventurous eater which embarrasses me I have to admit. I watch that show too... and want to be, I really do. And compared to the rest of my family I actually am, granted thats not saying much.

    But ...wow, caribou and fig huh?

    Can you just pass me a cheeseburger?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The caribou was real tasty. Even Duncan liked it. I felt very Canadian eating it. C'mon CSM. Come to the Great White North and we'll have you eating moose in no time. LOL

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm a slightly off-beat Toronto-area teacher who enjoys writing and photography. I come from a family of collectors and now I'm dragging my own family around to yard sales. It's just a bit of fun. Enjoy the scenes.