Monday, April 19, 2010

Hugely Nostalgic - Song #41 "Julian" by Alta Moda

I haven't been able to thrift in a week and I'm starting to get a little twitchy. I'm running three different clubs at my school and it doesn't leave time to pop out at lunch. I'm tempted to bike in on Wednesday so I can cycle up to Value Village at lunch to pan for vintage gold.

Last Saturday saw the first church rummage sale, but it was way up in Leaside, which from where we live is awkward to get to by public transit. I couldn't bring myself to drag Duncan there by bus on the off chance there could be something beautiful for house and home. Besides, Leaside is like the Rosedale of East York, so I assumed the prices would be inflated.

On the plus side, I finally got my ridiculously belated Thriftastic goodies off in the mail to Shara and Tracy - Crazy Suburban Mom. Chris, email me when you're back in Hogtown and I'll drop yours off.

I think in the future, I may just randomly send stuff to people.
Have a splendid week. Our class hamster has escaped from her cage three times in the last week. I've brought her home and taped her cage shut.

Here's the best pop song to come out of Toronto ever. Alta Moda was jazz vocalist Molly Johnson's pop band from the eighties. The video quality is poor, but you can see how beautiful she is and how funky she dresses. I remember thinking she looks like a Spanish princess in this video. Love the song too. I bet Vonlipi remembers it.
Enjoy!
Erin

2 comments:

  1. OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!! ok it's 7:00 am and I'm screaming in my living room! I LOVE that song and have been looking for it 4EVER! I had no idea of the group's name.
    Thank you Erin. She does look like a spanish princess.
    I'm itching for some thrifting too. The church basement hasn't turned up anything wow lately...But I'll be hitting the Salvation Army thursday....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright Vonlipi. I do my best to deliver nostalgia on all fronts in this war against boring new stuff.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm a slightly off-beat Toronto-area teacher who enjoys writing and photography. I come from a family of collectors and now I'm dragging my own family around to yard sales. It's just a bit of fun. Enjoy the scenes.