Saturday, July 31, 2010

Sweet Mystery Solved

You'll remember how I bought this bowl at Value Village last week for $4.99. I assumed it was Pyrex (although I should know the look and feel of Pyex by now). No, it wasn't Pyrex. Vonlipi thought it might be Federal Glass. I couldn't find any leads looking up Federal Glass. I just noticed that antique dealer Yutha left a comment on my CSI Toronto post. She suspected it was made by Hazel Atlas before they began putting a maker's mark on the bottom.

Well, Yutha was right. I discovered that Hazel Atlas started up around the turn of the century and closed in the early sixties. This mixing bowl originally came in a set of three (of different sizes) and was produced in the 1940s if my information is correct. I can't believe I found a beautiful 1940s bowl at a thrift store for a song.

I guess the moral of the story is this: if you're passing by a thrift store, it's always worth having a poke around. You never know what you will find and every vintage treasure has at least one great story behind it.

I'm all happy now. Time to learn how to crock.
Erin

6 comments:

  1. Hazel Atlas was my second guess but I was too lazy to look it up in my Hazel Atlas book. ;)

    I can be sooo lazy sometimes!

    Get crocking! My friends tell me : a crockpot for a crackpot all the time....oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you learned who the maker is. I love this bowel and such a cool old age on it. It is easy to 'crock' so get going girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I could help Erin! And thanks for your kind comments regarding Olivia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, Vonlipi, Linda, and Yutha. I love a good mystery and Vonlipi - you've still got the KNOWLEDGE!

    I had the whole crock pot conversation with my sister today and yes, she has a crock pot and she told me how it will make my life easier. I'm all for that. I smell stew and roast in my future.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cool! i like the collaboration involved to solve this mystery.

    ~ ana

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that! Its a fabulous pattern and I love the color! WOW

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm a slightly off-beat Toronto-area teacher who enjoys writing and photography. I come from a family of collectors and now I'm dragging my own family around to yard sales. It's just a bit of fun. Enjoy the scenes.