Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Gravy Train - Literally

I don't want to tempt fate, but it looks like my dry thrifting spell is over. 
 Last week, while riding home from work on my bike, heavy rain set in. I got soaked right through to the old knickers, but it was worth it. As I turned south on Woodbine, the sun came out and the biggest rainbow arched over the east end of Toronto. Luckily, I had my camera with me. Ta-dah!
 Here's the pot of gold that awaited at the end of the rainbow: Pyrex from my parents. It came with the apples. I felt a bit guilty as we converged in St. Catharines to celebrate family  birthdays and Mother's Day for my mother. My mom convinced me not to feel guilty since it was Mother's Day weekend and I'm a mother too so I shouldn't leave empty-handed. Thanks again. We're already ripping through the Macs. 
 My father gave me this very old Ontario Public School math book. I believe it's from the 1920s. I also bought this stacking container set for $2.00 at Goodwill. I'm trying to pack litterless lunches for myself. 
 You can tell that kids must have been a lot smarter back in the olden days. The problem solving questions were not easy. 
 This serving dish from the sixties also came from Goodwill and cost $3.00. It's a curious shape, but I liked the colour. 
 Its backside is not as pretty, but whose is?
 I think I've now got five or six of these sixties made in Japan gravy servers in different colours. I just can't get enough. It cost $2.00.

 Lastly, I bought these cut-out letter and number sets for $2.00. It says 1958 on the box. 
I'll use the cut-outs and stick the box up somewhere in my classroom for fun. 


Speaking of good times, here's Lene Lovich. This video is freaky and cool all at once. I keep listening to her greatest hits on my iPod as I cycle to work. Don't worry, I have the volume set low enough that I can hear the cars scraping against my peddles. 


2 comments:

  1. Love your cool finds! The little tupperware stacking set is great for lunch! hugs, LInda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have one of those gravy dishes, I got it t as a wedding shower gift way back in 1981.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm a slightly off-beat Toronto-area teacher who enjoys writing and photography. I come from a family of collectors and now I'm dragging my own family around to yard sales. It's just a bit of fun. Enjoy the scenes.